Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tomato Jam


I saw this recipe while searching for jam recipes for my class to make after our visit to Saeed Food Factory where jam is made. I was intrigued by the idea of tomato jam, and further excited because all of the ingredients are readily available here in Sudan. The jam is delicious, and I'm thinking it would be very easy to make an excellent ketchup as well. I'll let you know if I try that.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 pounds of good ripe tomatoes, diced.
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger, grated or minced
  • 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded (or not if you like more spice) and minced

Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a pot.
  2. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
  3. Continue to simmer over low-medium heat until the mixture thickens to a jam consistency, stirring occasionally. This should take about 60-90 minutes.
  4. Enjoy!
Keep your jam in the refrigerator for up to a week. Makes about 1 pint

No comments:

Post a Comment